Monday, May 17, 2010

The Sahara

Got all packed up, jumped in the car, and realized we had a flat tire

We're getting to know the tire shop guys pretty well.  10 minutes and we were on our way.

Rain in town, snow at the field site (we drove past it).  Common in February, but in May it's just weird.

My that's ominous.

Out of the mountains.  Into the plains.

 Mountains in the distance...

 The road to the desert took us through many of these canyon oases.  I don't think I've ever seen more mysterious places.

6 hours after starting in the rain and snow...this is the view from our hotel room.

The hotel was a bit schmaltzy, but I don't know how one could avoid that in these settings.  It was run by really nice people though, had more than decent food and accommodation, and...

There were cats everywhere.  I miss pets.

 We spent our second night out in the dunes in some Berber tents.  We got to and from the campsite via these wonderful creatures.  No, seriously, I had no idea how cool camels are.  Camels are SO COOL.

We named mine Bogart...
  ...get it?

The light is always changing.  Except for in mid-day of course, when it's so bright and so hot and you couldn't give a rat's-ass about the light, just please could I have some more tea please...thank you.

 Sunset...

 ...and Sunrise.  I opted to spend the night outside the tent under the stars.  Consequently I was one of the first ones up the next morning and was able to run to the top of the enormous dune outside the campsite and grab these shots.





Pouring sand from my shoe after my mini dune marathon
 
Our chariots await.

And we were really just on its doorstep.

4 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD. that's amazing and beautiful, i'm so glad you got to experience it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What an experience! So glad you're taking the time to
    see some things.

    Can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gave me chills just to look at the pictures. I can hardly imagine what it was like to actually be there. What a world!

    ReplyDelete