Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Lost Baggage

I neglected to mention yesterday that the airline lost my baggage. Correction: the airline lost ALL the baggage. This gives me more hope than if they had just lost mine, so I remain optimistic. They have Paolo's phone number and should call him when it turns up, but in the meantime I'm stuck in the same clothing and don't have my electrical adaptor or any of my medicine, hygene products, etc...

Paolo picked me up from the airport yesterday, but only after the authorities had a word with him about where exactly I would be living. We drove to Azrou to see the apartment, and then after 2 bottles of Moroccan wine, pasta with tuna (who knew it could be so good?), and a good nap, drove through Azrou to the forest to see the monkeys. We didn't go all the way to the field site, but instead saw the group which the locals show to tourists. It's a pretty sad sight to behold, as the area in which they live is strewn with food wrappers, bottles, and all other manner of detritus that is given to the monkeys. Locals from the area (Azrousians? Azroulites?) just drive up, throw some food out, and drive away. I've been assured that the site where we will be working is much more removed and very rarely visited by anyone.

We then parked in Azrou and walked into the marketplace to buy rations for dinner and play a game of pool in the local arcade (pictures to follow, as words don't do this part justice).

Paolo is a self proclaimed "man of the night". He loves to drink, smoke, go to clubs, and go figure, spend 8 hours a day in the forest watching monkeys. He's been here one year and is absurdly comfortable with everything that I'm amazed by. We make a funny pair.

Paolo just informed me that Royal Air Morocco has my bag, and he will pick it up when he picks up Chris and Dave today.

That's all for now, more adventures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment