Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ain Kalla


 The tiny dot in the middle is a Berber
 
Ain Kalla is in the distance on the right
 
Big trees, small monkeys
Lots of clambering.

Another venture to Ain Kalla on my own today.  I was standing in the middle of the forest around mid-day staring up into the trees wondering when the monkeys were going to take some initiative and stop sleeping when a flock of sheep moved into the area, accompanied by a Berber and his dog.  I shook his hand and we exchanged greetings, and I began to explain in Arabic what I was up to (while motioning up to the trees just in case I wasn't saying it right).  He gave me a quizzical look, and said something in Berber, and I gave him a quizzical look and said something in Arabic, which, it was becoming fast apparent, he didn't understand.  We both gave each other confused looks and then began to laugh.  He shook my hand.  The laughter died down and we stood in silence watching his sheep graze.  After a few minutes he turned to me, shook my hand one more time, said good-bye (it's the same in Arabic and Berber) and moved off through the forest with his flock and his dog. 

1 comment: