Sunday, March 7, 2010

London, etc.


I forgot how much I loved London until I stepped out of the underground station and promptly almost got run over by one of those double decker busses (Look LEFT!).  The weather was pleasantly London-in-February, which in contrast to Azrou-in-February, was made bearable by the ever-present option of ducking into a pub for a cheeky pint and some chips. 

Trip highlights:
Fancy dinner for mom's birthday.  Didn't know Polish food was so good.


 I forgot about candles...

Finding the Dog and Duck by happy accident with Anne.  Not surprisingly, it made me a bit nostalgic. 

 
Found it!

Seeing the grave of Karl Marx.  It's in one of the oldest cemeteries in London (which means it's very, very old), and the weather added a nice touch to the overall creepiness of the place.   

WORKERS OF ALL LANDS UNITE. 

Museums and art galleries!  They're all free, and they're all fantastic.

Installation in the Saatchi.  The floor is oil.  What the what?

Doing the tourist thing with Mom, Steph, and Anne.  Seeing the sights, eating the food, wandering, wandering, wandering.  Trafalgar square, the London eye, the tower, the Thames, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Soho, Hyde Park, the list goes on and on...

 I wonder if he was someone important...

It's really quite big.

And oh yes, the house of Papa D himself, Charles Darwin.  My uncle was kind enough to drive me out to Kent to visit the house where he lived for 40 years.  Absolutely awesome (sadly, no pictures).  I should really say it again:  IT WAS SO AWESOME.  I never wanted to leave.

Speaking of Darwin...

As could be expected, Morocco felt comparatively sane after all of that madness.  I had to dive right back into work on Monday and despite the weather and total exhaustion all week (I really needed a vacation after my vacation), I can feel that the break from the field really did me some good.  A lot of things about the project have changed in a very short period of time, and I feel very optimistic about the next 5 months.

 Mac gets a 1-up

We were blessed with a rare sunny day on Thursday, and I took the opportunity to take some photos of the Greens.  This week looks like it's going to be absolute misery, but it was a nice reminder:  You can never hold back spring (cheers, Tom).


I cannot believe it's March.


Soundtrack:  Townes Van Zandt - Where I Lead Me.
Miss and love you all, as always.

2 comments:

  1. Your dog and duck photo makes me nostalgic as well. Oh Michael. We have so much to discuss! TGIMarch! When do you return? I'll be living Austin/San Marcos (depending on what I can find) starting June. Let's play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Morocco, and 2 yrs of that was in Azrou, so I'm really enjoying reading your blog!

    But I finally had to post when I saw this entry--March 7--the day before one of the largest and most traumatic deportations in recent Moroccan history. You may or may not have heard of it. Sixteen foreigners were deported from an orphanage in Ain Leuh, about 20 km from Azrou. They were forced to leave 33 homeless children behind with only a couple of hours of notice. There is a video of how the children wailed and were heart-broken. Negotiations are still going on to try to re-unite these foster families.

    Did you even hear about it?

    Thanks so much for the blog.

    ReplyDelete